ENDS Report Issue 402, July 2008
We need to teleport now into a more climate-conscious world.
New emissions reporting guidelines mean firms' emissions may double.
Current economic woes may not hit the environment sector as hard as other industries.
- DEFRA restructure nears completion
- NI green minister to oppose climate Bill
- Tories set out recycling incentives
- EAC on government carbon reductions
- Heathrow decision delayed
- EU launches sustainable consumption package
Businesses committing to year-on-year emission cuts can become certified to a new standard.
- Call for emissions reporting benchmarks
- Guide to carbon neutrality
- University green league
Energy & carbon
Fewer CDM carbon credits may be available after the introduction of tougher rules.
- Call for halt to new coal
- Ofgem to review energy market codes
- Public wrong on climate
Pollution & clean-up
A rabbit forced 250,000 people to boil water after getting into an Anglian Water plant.
- Drinking water report published
- Opacity on flame retardants
- Glebe mines clean-up finally begins
Brazil is looking at extending a moratorium on soya from deforested areas of the Amazon to beef and timber.
- REACH candidate list under way
- FoE risky chemicals update
- Embodied carbon report
- Sustainability standards for biomass
Waste & resources
The UK’s first autoclaving plant to treat non-clinical waste is due to open in August.
- Commercial waste recycling set to boom
- Recycling project dumped
- REACH pre-registration urged for by-products
- Hazwaste clarification
A third of English waste disposal authorities cannot say where their waste is recycled.
Local authorities have set their priorities for the next three years under Local Area Agreements.
Environmental lawyer Philippe Sands QC points to a fundamental flaw at the heart of the EU’s legal order.
- Household waste exports: best practice
BERR has issued a consultation on lifting the Renewables Obligation for electricity to 35%.
- Rises in biofuels target slowed
- Consultation on carbon capture
- Water efficiency targets proposed
- Battery regime delayed
- Eco-towns under fire
- DfT wants tighter car CO2 targets
- DEFRA launches local air quality guidance
- Food strategy focuses on sustainability
- SEPA shakes-up compliance scheme
- Pitt calls for robust flood-risk management
- DfT makes u-turn on car ads
- Marine objectives consultation launched
- Consultation on Renewables Obligation banding
- Recycling pilot guidance issued
- DEFRA issues crematoria mercury Direction
- Biofuel label rejected
- SEPA consults on odour
- Decentralised energy plants to be licence-free
- Call for 'zero-waste places'
G8 leaders meeting in Japan agree big emission cuts are needed, but are not so sure how to share the effort.
- EUETS to cover aviation
- Pesticide rules tightened
- Basel Convention meeting
- Plan for shipping emissions trading blocked
- EU proposed new POPs
- Commission consults on tropical deforestation