ENDS Report Issue 404, September 2008
The government’s response to rocketing household energy bills doesn't live up to its "revolutionary" tag.
Councils could have to set a 60% target to receive waste PFI funding.
Reorganisation has left the Environment Agency struggling to deal with its permitting activities.
- Carbon disclosure results
- Green Party leader elected
- Arctic ice report
- Kingsnorth acquittal
- Political green retreat
- ENDS infographic: The real picture on UK CO2 emissions
Industry criticised over a lack of progress towards meeting the proposed EU CO2 emissions target.
- AdMit offsetting scheme
- Environmental law firms rated
- ASA rules against Exxon
- Offsetting aviation emissions
- Carbon management guides
Energy & carbon
Scientists argue that strong action in coming decades will not prevent substantial climate change.
- Agency report on water and energy
- Home energy efficiency plan
- Home Energy Conservation Act to be repealed
- Offshore wind farm approved
- German coal gasification plant with CCS
- International biofuel standard
Pollution & clean-up
The offer comes as the capital is set to fail EU particulate matter limits.
- Pesticide rules challenged
- School set for former chemical landfill
- Tap water and birth defects
- Pesticides leach from buildings
- Welsh crypto scare
- Radioactive site investigation
The move comes as warmings grow that water scarcity is becoming a key business risk.
- Certified palm oil hits the market
- BRE standard sparks debate
- Dairy and meat impacts
- REACH tool launched
- Marine timber study
- Public bodies work with CDP
- IKEA cleantech investment
Waste & resources
Only ten food firms have set targets under the government’s Courtauld Commitment to reduce packaging.
- Toner cartridge debate
- Gasification breaks through
- Bad press for sewage sludge
- CO2 impacts of waste exports
The popularity of anaerobic digestion plants is growing, but will they make the best use of the biogas?
An ENDS survey finds private equity firms' declarations of intent greatly outweigh their green goals and targets.
- What is private equity?
The chemical industry and the HSE fear laxer controls on importers are a risk to the scheme's success.
- DEFRA's responds to river basin planning
- BERR manufacturing strategy
- Fuel ash no longer waste
- Welsh air quality plans
- Airport noise consultation
- Ship pollution regulations
- Scottish buildings plans
- Biodiesel burning unlikely to get support
- Agency consults on standard permits
- Packaging rules change
- Agency guidance on packaging exports
- Batteries regulations in force
- Joint waste authority rules
- EIA regulations