Climate change: Scotland sets out new emissions reduction plans

The Scottish government has published a bill to cut emissions to net zero by 2050, alongside a detailed roadmap to meet its target of reducing emissions by two thirds by 2032.

In plans set out this week, environment secretary Roseanna Cunningham said the government’s new bill proposes a 90% reduction in emissions, with the remaining 10% offset by carbon sinks such as peatland and forests.

Scotland, which is set to host next year's UN climate talks, is already well on track to meet its 2020 target to cut emissions by 42% compared to 1990 levels, thanks chiefly to a dramatic increase in renewably sourced electricity, which accounted for almost 70% of the country’s power supply in 2017. 

Please sign in or register to continue.

Sign in to continue reading

Having trouble signing in?

Contact Customer Support at
report@ends.co.uk
or call 020 8267 8120

Subscribe for full access

or Register for limited access

Already subscribe but don't have a password?
Activate your web account here