Soil Scientist/Analytical Chemist (KTP Associate) (5272)
An exciting opportunity has become available to work full time on a 26-month Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) to enable commercial success of a recycled soil derived from road sweeping waste, and to create a circular economy solution to use the recycled soils in environments such as urban tree planting, landscaping and green spaces.
Employed and supported by an academic team from the University, you will be based at the company's premises in Manchester.
UBU Environmental Ltd are the largest operated road sweeper hire company in the North West, managing a fleet of over 120 Johnston sweepers, high pressure road jetters and jet vac whale tankers. Their business strategy believes in continual growth in the area of performance and compliance coupled with a continual reduction in the quantities of road sweeper waste going to landfill.
Qualification we require:
First-class BSc or higher degree in chemistry or environmental science, with experience in soil sampling, extraction and analysis. Relevant industrial experience of soil testing and waste management will be highly advantageous, an MSc or PhD in a related discipline would be considered favourably.
- Experience of field sampling.
- Experience of laboratory analysis of complex matrices, such as biomass.
- Awareness of how best to meticulously approach sample custody, extraction and data gathering.
- Ability to coherently analyse data with appropriate methods of statistical
- Capable of conducting high quality research resulting in production of scientific manuscripts and technical reports.
- Ability to synthesize data into suitable narrative for presentation to a range of stakeholders.
The successful candidate will:
- Have knowledge of developing and applying scientific testing processes and data recording.
- Possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal, and experience of delivering presentations.
- Have the ability to lead a project from the scientific perspective and to produce research outputs, such as academic papers publishable within high quality journals
- Be capable of working collaboratively as part of a small multi-disciplinary team.
- Be able to work independently, make decisions and manage personal workload.
- Be capable of communicating complex concepts in a clear manner to a wide-ranging audience.
- Be willing to work outdoors throughout the year.
- £2,000 per year to spend on personal training;
- attendance at two residential managerial workshops (each of one week's duration);
- opportunity to register on a higher degree (at a reduced cost);
- opportunity of a permanent position with the company; 70% of host companies make a permanent job offer to their Associate at the end of the project.
Manchester Metropolitan University is committed to supporting the rights, responsibilities, dignity, health and wellbeing of staff and students through our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion.
We promote applications from all sections of the community, irrespective of background, belief or identity, recognising the benefits that a diverse organisation can bring and particularly encourage applications from groups which are underrepresented in the University workforce.
We recognise the benefits and importance of an environment that supports flexible working and are open to conversations about this throughout the application process.