Environment Officer (Conservation)
Closing date: 8 December 2022
Location: Aberystwyth or Lampeter
Salary: £31,490 - £34,902 (Grade 5)
Contract type: Permanent
Work pattern: 37 hours, Monday - Friday
Post number: 200569
This is an officer post within the Environment Team that covers Ceredigion. Our ‘patch’ is varied and interesting with a plethora of conservation designations, a long coastline and a bunch of challenging WFD waterbodies.
The purpose of our team is to contribute to the sustainable management of natural resources by regulating a range of activities centred around the management of designated conservation sites and a range of water related regulatory activities.
We are a small team with a big workload, much of which derives from our nature conservation duties. We are looking for an experienced conservation practitioner with good ecology skills and who already has experience of protected site management such as SSSI consenting, management agreement and HRA work.
Conservation is likely to dominate your work load but you may be called on to contribute to other areas within the Environment Team’s remit.
You will be able to demonstrate knowledge and experience of the following:
1. A good working knowledge of environment management, agriculture, fisheries, conservation or biodiversity, with focused experience in one of these distinct areas of the team remit.
2. An understanding of how these multi-functional teams can contribute to the sustainable management of natural resources.
3. Ensure continuing professional and personal development, expertise and competence through formal and informal learning and certification.
4. Strong and effective self-management and organisational skills.
5. The ability to influence, negotiate and gain cooperation of others. Experience of dealing successfully with difficult people/situations is important.
6. The ability to use specialised IT systems, such as GIS or NRW customised applications.
7. Able to work well as part of a team.
8. Hold a current full UK valid licence to drive NRW fleet vehicles (cars and vans).
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
• Agile and flexible working
• Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
• 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days
• Generous leave entitlements for all your life needs
• Health and wellbeing benefits and support
• Weekly well-being hour to use as you choose
For more information, please visit our website.