Environmental Regulation Officer
Industry Regulation, Operations
Location: Place based: You will be contracted to a NRW office within the place base, of which you will be required to attend for regular meetings, training and for one-to-one meetings with your manager. These will be planned in advance.
Salary: Grade 6: £37,308 - £40,806 per annum
Contract Type: Permanent
Closing Date: 31/05/2023
Interview Date: Week commencing 05/06/2023
This is an exciting opportunity to join one our Industry Regulation Teams in Wales, on a permanent basis.
We are looking for an individual who is passionate about our environment and can use their strong communication and influencing skills to make a real difference. If you are inquisitive and like solving problems or are interested in new technology and innovation then this could be a great opportunity. No two days are ever the same in this role, so you will need to be adaptable, be able to manage complex and sometimes flexible workloads and use your initiative to take timely decisions.
As a Senior Officer you will be responsible for the regulation of permitted sites across a wide range of industrial sectors including chemicals, food and drink, metals, power generation, paper and textiles, cement and minerals, landfill, and waste treatment. You may also have the opportunity to be involved in COMAH (Control of Major Accidents and Hazards) delivery, and regulation of activities that use radioactive substances.
Working alone or with others, you will visit our regulated sites to ensure operators are complying with the requirements of their Environmental Permits. You will develop professional working relationships with our operators, provide them with advice and guidance and undertake proportionate enforcement action if required to improve compliance and achieve environmental outcomes.
You will also be required to respond to environmental incidents/reports and undertake appropriate investigation work.
Ideally you will have industrial or regulatory/compliance experience within a relevant sector and have an in-depth knowledge of relevant legislation.
Who you are – qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills required
• Knowledge and experience of either working in a regulated industry or as a regulator.
• Good understanding of commercial business processes and pressures.
• Ability to communicate effectively with regulated business and the public, explaining complex issues and gaining support by influencing.
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
• Agile and flexible working (role dependent)
• Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
• 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days
• Generous leave entitlements for all your life needs
• Health and wellbeing benefits and support
• Weekly well-being hour to use as you choose